While slum tourism generally is not associated with Central America, Eveline Duerr describes in her article Urban Poverty, Spatial Representation and Mobility: Touring a Slum in Mexico how in Mazatlán, Mexico a multidenominational church offers regular tours to the city’s garbage dump. She looks at different modes of (im)mobiilties and the implications this has for people and places and describesteh ambigious effects of integrating marginalised places into the urban representation.
Welcome to Slumtourism.net
Slumtourism.net aims to bring together academics and practitioners working on tourism in deprived urban and rural areas. The website hopes to provide a stepping stone for further co-operations and projects on the subject. If you are active in this field, please contact us!
Recently updated pages
- Second Destination Slum Conference
- Slum tourism and city branding in Medellin
- New book on slum tourism out now! Touring Poverty by Bianca Freire-Medeiros
- Slum tour operator “Reality Tours and Travel” winner of Responsible Tourism Awards 2012
- Slum Tourism: Developments in a Young Field of Interdisciplinary Tourism Research – Free download